THE ABBEY OF VAL-DIEU
The Cistercian Abbey “Notre Dame du Val-Dieu” was founded in 1216 by monks from Hocht, near Maastricht. According to legend, the uninhabited valley in which they settle is so hostile that the local population called it the "valley of the devil". The monks renamed it "Valley of God" or « Val-Dieu » in french. Which later gave its name to the abbey. The monastery developed during the Middle Ages and has its golden age in the 18th century.
The abbey of Val-Dieu is the only Belgian abbey that survived the French Revolution. Today the abbey is occupied by the Christian Community of Val-Dieu. It is linked to the Cistercian Order, and in particular to the abbey of Lérins. It follows the rule of St Benedict and the Benedictine and Cistercian tradition.